Friday, June 24, 2005

Oh spirit soul

In the year 1874 Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur published a philosophical book titled Datta Kautubha. Durring the same period of time he composed the following poem Known as Sharagrahi Vaishnava. Below are a few stanzas from that poem.

Alas for those who spend their days
In festive mirth and joy.
The dazzling, deadly, liquid forms
Their hearts fore’er employ.

The shining bottles charm their eyes
And draw their heart’s embrace;
The slaves of wine can never rise
From what we call disgrace.

Was man intended to be
A brute in work and heart?
Should man, the Lord of all around,
From common sense depart?

Man’s life to him a problem dark –
A screen both left and right;
No soul hath come to tell us what
Exists beyond our sight.

Tell me not in reasoning cold,
The soul is made alone
By earth’s mechanic lifeless rules
And to destruction prone.

But then a voice, how deep and soft;
Within ourselves is left;
Man! Man! Thou art immortal soul!
Thee Death can never melt.

O Love! Thy power and spell benign
Now melt my soul to God;
How can my earthly words describe
That feeling soft and broad.

O Sharangrahi Vaishnava soul,
Thou art an angel fair;
Lead, lead me on to Vrindaban
And spirit’s power declare.

There rests my soul from matter free
Upon my Lover’s arms-
Eternal peace and spirits love
Are all my chanting charms.

No comments: