Monday, June 19, 2006

My achievements

In life, or more specific in my life, a constant struggle continues, from longer than I can remember, between my ideals and my actions.

Ideals vs. Actions.

I meet people who act in devotional life, people whose spirituality is their constant motivation, and I try to find the similarities and differences between us. Generally our ideas are the same. We share the same knowledge base, the same understanding of things, we call on the same sources for inspiration, but the difference is always in our actions. Basically they act and I don't.

Sometimes, motivational speakers will ask their audience to imagine their own funeral. Imagine a little church. In the rows sit friends and family dressed in black and someone standing behind the pulpit begins to read a homage to you. I wonder at my funeral what achievements will be read? Will I, before I breath my last, do anything to help the world progress on the spiritual path? Or will my funeral homage begin and end with a list of qualities, "He was a nice guy with nice ideals. He wanted to act towards spirituality" and under the list of achievements we'll find a sad little zero.

This is my struggle, ideals vs. actions. I have lots of ideals, but unfortunately no actions.

No comments: